What type of incidents can be a hate incident?
Hate incidents can take many forms. Here are examples of hate incidents:
- verbal abuse like name-calling and offensive jokes
- bullying or intimidation by children, adults, neighbours or strangers
- physical attacks such as hitting, punching, pushing, spitting
- threats of violence
- hoax calls, abusive phone or text messages, hate mail
- online abuse for example on Facebook or Twitter
- displaying or circulating discriminatory literature or posters
- harm or damage to things such as your home, pet, vehicle
- throwing rubbish into a garden
- malicious complaints for example over parking, smells or noise.